Charlottenburg was one of the richest cities in Germany before the First World War – it was integrated into Berlin on April 27, 1920.
It became the seventh district of Greater Berlin and fulfilled its role in self-government.
The war, its consequences and the unfortunate separation into East and West brought about a shift in economic priorities.
The district fell into the British sector of occupation, but quickly rebuilt and flourished.
The clothing industry had to give up its old domicile at Hausvogteiplatz and moved to Charlottenburg. Also, the stock market, banks and insurance companies, commercial agencies, the restaurant and hotel industry found a new home or rebuilt in the area.
West German and Berlin industries established their representative administration buildings and theatres and major cinemas located in Charlottenburg City.
The Kurfürstendamm shined in its old splendour, with fine shops, cafes and restaurants.
Daring, hardworking and knowledgeable entrepreneurs did great things with the financial backing of the federal government and the United States.